Wednesday, August 3, 2011

The Phone Call Sketch, Ladies and Gentlemen

Hey man, this is Rob from the future. I'm you exactly ten years from now. Ten years to the day. August 3, 2001 there, right? Yeah. Okay. Good.

Sup? Yeah, they still say sup.

Anyway. I'm calling from 2011. No, no, this is not a Dickens thing. You're fine. You've figured a lot of stuff out, and you're a lot better at, well, everything. Which is kind of the way it's supposed to go. You're good. A lot better than you are right now, actually. You kind of suck right now. No, stop agreeing. That's part of your problem.

The future? It's... good. It's good. It's going to be good. Yeah, the internet blew up, like you figured it would. Everybody's on here now. Your relatives, your high-school classmates, your exes, your mom. Everybody. What? Yeah, actually it does kind of suck. We're working on that. Turns out a lot of the people you know are gonna go, you know. Crazy. Not to put too fine a point on it. The internet's killing newspapers and TV, like we figured, right on schedule. Hmm? Oh yeah, people still chat! There's this thing everybody uses where you can only talk in, like, a sentence and a half at a time. No. I don't know why. But it's worth it, because you get to find out how celebrities feel about things.

No, it's cool. Kind of.

Yeah, that election thing was disturbing, with the chads and the thing. I know, right! Nobody could tell the difference between the two candidates. Yeah. That was, um, that was funny. Heh. No, I just have a cold. It's fine.

No, no, everything's cool! We, um, we eventually elected a black guy President! Not Colin Powell, I thought that, too. Some dude you don't know. With a weird name. A really weird name. It's kind of a long story. He only got elected to stop the wars... yeah. Plural. Two of them. Well, it was two. I think we're at four or five now.

I really can't remember. We're all just trying to concentrate on our work. On finding work. Yeah, another recession. I guess you could call it that. Sure. The President is on it, no problem. He's, um, doing things. Oh, and remember that NAFTA thing everybody got all upset about? You probably want to speak out more against that.

Good music. Good music. Um. Hang on, I know there were a few songs. I have to think about it. No, I'm not just getting old. Remember that Telecommunications Act that Clinton passed? And then the record industry started consolidating? Yeah. That. The good news is that the net killed it off, too. No, no CDs. All mp3s now. You had that part right. Portable music players and phones got really small. And you can browse and do all kinds of cool stuff on the phones! There you go! That's something good about the future right there.

Oh, yeah, also, you can record music and video with anything, anywhere, so everybody has a band now. And a video. A terrible, terrible video.

Huh? Columbine? Columbine. Oh! The school shooting. Yeah, I remember that. Um, we don't notice those too much now. Yeah, those. Some woman killed her baby, though. Everybody got real upset about that.

So yeah! You personally are fine. I wouldn't be talking to you right now if you weren't. Just a side note here, though, since you're living in New Orleans: is the truck gassed up? Do you have bottled water? No, I'm just asking. Always a good idea to be safe. Oh, and you're not going to New York anytime soon, right? Don't go to New York.

I told you, it's just a cold. Hang on.

I'm back. Yeah! So keep going. You're gonna get a lot better.

The world? Uh, it's still here. Yeah. Batman movies are awesome now. I don't know if I mentioned that. And gay people can get married legally. So that's something. Hey, I don't remember, did we own any gold?

Hello?

1 comments:

Noah Singman said...

It's not too late for the 2011 Rob to buy gold, you know. :-)

Post a Comment